Fr. Alexander M Laschuk, PhD
Executive Director, Metropolitan Andrey Sheptytsky Institute of Eastern Christian Studies
- Ph.D. (Canon Law) (Saint Paul University/University of Ottawa)
- J.C.D. (Saint Paul University)
- J.C.L. (Saint Paul University)
- M.Canon Law (Saint Paul University/University of Ottawa)
- Graduate Certificate in Ecclesiastical Administration (Saint Paul University/University of Ottawa)
- S.T.B. (Saint Paul University)
- B.Th. (Eastern Christian Studies) (Saint Paul University/University of Ottawa)
- B.Forensic Sci. (University of Windsor)
Teaching and Research Interests
- Canon Law
In 2021 Fr. Alexander M. Laschuk, PhD was appointed to a three-year term as Executive Director of the Metropolitan Andrey Sheptytsky Institute of Eastern Christian Studies (MASI). His appointment follows a yearlong appointment as interim director that saw the institute shift its instruction and lecture offerings into an online context while emphasizing collaboration with other institutions.
Fr. Laschuk has civil and ecclesiastical doctorates in canon law from Saint Paul University and the University of Ottawa. His research interests include ecclesiology, penal law, and procedural law and he regularly publishes in these areas in addition to canonical consultancy and advocacy work with dioceses and clients across North America. He has taught regularly with the Sheptytsky Institute since 2010.
- “Liturgy Spotlight: Eastern Catholics and Latin Parishes,” in Australian Catholic University Centre for Liturgy Newsletter, 12 (2021), 2-3.
- “Recent Papal Pronouncements on the Admission of Married Eastern Catholic Men to the Priesthood: An Ecumenical Issue,” in Married Priests in the Catholic Church, ed. Adam DeVille, Notre Dame, University of Notre Dame Press, 2021, 74-87.
- "Adscription to a Sui iuris Church,” in Studia canonica, 54 (2020), 511-524.
- “Particular Law of the Ukrainian Greco-Catholic Church (An Unofficial Translation), in Logos: A Journal of Eastern Christian Studies, 61 (2020), 135-218.
- "Amor coniugalis in Rotal Jurisprudence,” in Studia canonica, 54 (2020), 121-131.
- “Reflections on Clerical Concubinage,” in Studia canonica, 53 (2019), 467-479.
- “Mitis Iudex and the Conversion of Ecclesiastical Structures,” in Studia canonica, 51 (2017), 529-549.
- “Participation of Eastern Hierarchs in Conferences of Bishops,” in Studia canonica, 51 (2017), 181-205.
- “Canonical Reflections on the Recent Pastoral Letter from the Melkite Greco-Catholic Eparchy of Newton,” in Logos: A Journal of Eastern Christian Studies, 53 (2012), 63-75.
- “Recent Developments in Rotal Jurisprudence,” Canon Law Society of America 83rd annual convention, San Diego, CA, October 2021.
- “Adscription to a Church sui iuris,” Canadian Canon Law Society Annual Convention, Quebec City, October 2019.
- “The Role of Canon Law in the Catholic Tradition and Church-State Relations”, Cardus Religious Freedom Institute – The Decretum Seminar, Ottawa, October 2018.
- “Harmony and Solicitude: Recent Canonical Changes and the Catholic Eastern Churches,” 79th Annual Convention of the Canon Law Society of America, Phoenix, October 2018
- “Penal Law in the CCEO: Challenges for Practical Application with a Special Focus on the Diaspora,” XV International Congress of Canon Law, Washington, DC, September 2014
- “Professional Responsibilities: Cooperation and civility among the roles in penal matters,” Canon Law Society of America 82nd annual convention, Virtual due to pandemic, October 2020.
- “Eastern Churches, Latin Territories: Ecclesial Catholicity and the Notion of Diaspora,” Lumen Christi Institute, Eastern Catholic Theology in Action Webinar Series, September 2020.
- “The Right of Defense: Friend or Foe?”, Minneapolis Province of Canonists, Buffalo, MI, May 2019
- “Clerical Concubinage: An Ancient Crime for the Modern Church,” Minneapolis Province of Canonists, Buffalo, MI, May 2019
- “Amor coniugalis in Rotal Jurisprudence,” Minneapolis Province of Canonists, Buffalo, MI, May 2019
- “The Ius Appelandi in a Post-Mitis World,” Minneapolis Province of Canonists, Buffalo, MI, May 2019
- “East Meets West – Understanding Marriage Issues Involving Eastern Catholics,” Saint Paul University Canon Law Webinars, April 2019
- “Tribunal Procedures and Mitis Iudex”, Canadian Canon Law Society Annual Convention, Hamilton, October 2018
- “The Right of Defense in Canon Law,” Saint Paul University Canon Law Webinars, December 2017
- “Matrimonial Nullity: One Year after Mitis,” Saint Paul University Canon Law Webinars, February 2017
- “Mitis: One Year Later,” Panel Discussion, Canadian Canon Law Society Annual Convention, Vancouver, October 2016
- “Pope Francis and the Episcopate,” Canadian Canon Law Society Webinars, February 2016